Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Musing – Is Biblical Marriage a Triune Relationship?



Hebraic Musing – Is Biblical Marriage a Triune Relationship?
Adam and Eve walked and talked daily in the garden with God.  They were naked and the threesome was in perfect relationship. This need for a triune marital relationship dawned on me recently.
My first 18 years of marriage were all about Peggy and me and the challenges of raising six children; and it was rough. But my priorities were clear in my mind – Family first, Profession/Job second, and Community Service third.  Good theory – but in reality I was working for the community until 3:00AM all too often. There was little time left for the family since I got up at 6:00 AM for a two hour commute to work.  That life style had community first, work second and family was dead last.  Priorities were messed up and frustrating.
At the age of 38 Peggy and I attended a Marriage Encounter and I heard of the strength of a ‘three braided cord’.  Shortly after that I fell to my knees and said “Jesus, you are real and I need to learn more about you.”  Peggy and the family had already accepted Jesus and were steadfast in their faith; I had to catch up. From that day forward, our marriage steadily improved as God became the third braid in our relationship. We served our Lord by ministering together. Our dependence on Our Third Partner climaxed as Peggy’s health issues required more love and attention than I realized I was capable of.  We became exceptionally close as she made her decision to leave me for The Perfect Husband – the ultimate intimacy. I learned that true marital love has to be a three braided cord.
Father God sent His only Son to earth to seek a bride. My Biblical Marriage book builds on this theme. If Jesus is the Groom and we are the bride, who is the third braid in our relationship?  May I suggest that it is the Holy Spirit holding us together while bringing meaning and joy to our relationship? 
After Peggy left me for the Perfect Husband I grieved.  Then a search for a wife began. My marriage had been so fulfilling I knew I could not stay single without the suitable help-mate that is so much a part of God’s plan. Along came my high school sweetheart, Irene.  God, in His infinite wisdom, kept us apart for 57 years!  Sounds great, but whoa!  Let’s be rational. “Stop, Drop and Roll” Does she fit the criteria? She has to be…
·         a widow as scripturally prescribed in Romans 7?
·         a Christian and much more than just a ‘Sunday-go-to-meeting’ Christian? 
·         willing to evangelize and support missions with me.
God had apparently planned for all this.  Irene met all the criteria and then some. She was a widow; had been active in ‘Evangelism Explosion’; and had been on the mission field in Europe and South America. As we celebrate our first wedding anniversary last Sunday, we find a refreshing level of both formal and informal spontaneous prayer time and ministry together.  We both grew in the Lord in our previous marriages, so our priorities were made straight, or at least straighter.  We now enjoy God’s presence in our lives every day.
I hope and trust that all of you will search for the perfecting of that relationship in your lives. I learned the value of a Triune marital relationship the hard way; but now we allow God to be the third person.
Point to Ponder
How can one possibly deal with the daily issues of married life
                             without Him at our side?
Remember, some day we will all be walking and talking together with God
                   in perfect relationship with total openness.
 ♫ Spirit of the Living God, fall afresh on me. ♫
Yosef   a.k.a.  Joe Brusherd                                                             October 15, 2013
Author of two books “Hebraic Insights” and  “Biblical Marriage”
And weekly e-mails “Hebraic Musings Yosef1@cox.net  or  www.InsightsByYosef.com

No comments:

Post a Comment