Sunday, June 15, 2014

Musing – What would life be like without rules?



I opened a Sunday School class of 10 to 12 year olds with Good News.  “Today we are going to play a really exciting new game. This new game is called “Bokee Ball” and it is a lot of fun because there are no rules to worry about.”  The questions came – “How do you score?”  “How many points to win?”  “How many players on a side?”   “What’s out of bounds?”  “What kind of ball do we use?”  and on and on the questions came.  The answer I gave to each question was the same – “Whatever you want; there are no rules.”  Needless to say, the game never started.
The moral of the lesson became obvious. The Bible, both OT and NT, has rules we are expected to live by; and without those rules life would be a mess.  I asked someone at lunch today “How do you like it when other people do not obey the rules?” or worse yet, “How would you like it if all the other people in the world decided to not obey the rules?” How does this apply to the messages about rules that are taught in the Bible, especially in the Torah?  Here are a few perspectives:
·      The “Ten Commandments” start in Exodus 20:1 And God spoke all these words:  "I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. You shall have no other gods before me... NIV    Again in Deuteronomy 5:5   And He said:  "I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. You shall have no other gods before me….”   In both cases “words” and “said” are translated from the Hebrew d’bar which means “a word.”  So what we have been calling “commandments” are really “words” from Father God.   BTW – Whatever a loving parent tells his/her child to do is always for the child’s own good. Always!
·      The Hebrew word for the first five books of the OT is Torah, and it appears numerous times in both the Hebrew OT and NT.  Unfortunately word Torah in Hebrew is translated as “Law” in our English versions.  We all know that he word “law” has a must do connotation with enforcement and punitive consequences; thus it stirs up in some of us a desire to “kick against the goads” or see how close we can get to the edge.  The Torah with its lessons, history, character studies and “Words” from God teaches us rules for living healthy, safe and full lives with respect for authority. I’d prefer to translate the Hebrew word Torah as “Lessons” or “Guidelines” or “God’s advice to His children” than to call it “Law”.    That’s just my preference.
·      Mitzvot is a Hebrew word literally meaning “Good Deeds”.  In Genesis 26:4-5 we learn “all nations on earth will be blessed, because Abraham obeyed me and kept my requirements, my commands, my decrees and my laws.”  The word “commands” is translated from the Hebrew Mitzvot which literally means “good deeds.”  So our blessings come from obediently doing good deeds.
·      Tradition says that the OT has 613 Mitzvot (some call “commandments”), whereas the NT has over 1,050 Mitzvot. I am amazed at the Amazing Grace granted in the OT to the people and patriarchs.  So between the OT and NT, which is about Grace and which is about Law?  See Heb. 13:8.
Does this explain why my life has changed for the better since I put Mezuzahs* on the door posts of our house? As I enter or leave the house I kiss it and say “Thank you Lord for your commandments?”    
Points to ponder
How can we thank the Lord for giving us His rules for living?
* Mezuzah is a piece of parchment in a decorative case inscribed with specific verses from Torah, 6:6-9 “These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. … Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.”
Yosef   a.k.a.  Joe Brusherd                                                                    June 17, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment