Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Musing – How should we interpret Jeremiah 30:11?



Hebraic Musing – How should we interpret Jeremiah 30:11?
Jeremiah 30:11 in the NIV, and similarly in other versions says:
11 “I am with you and will save you,” declares the Lord.
“Though I completely destroy all the nations among which I scatter you,
 I will not completely destroy you.  I will discipline you but only in due measure;
    I will not let you go entirely unpunished
.”
During our two weeks in Jerusalem last month, I heard some believers in Israel recognizing this as a sign of near times for the Jews in Israel.  But I am not comfortable with that answer, so it stirred questions in my mind and would appreciate your perspective.  
Does this prophecy mean…
-          The Jews in Israel will undergo discipline in coming days because of their failures?
-          All the Jews in Diaspora, i.e. New York for example, will undergo discipline in coming days because of their failures?
-          All of us believers will be saved but will also undergo discipline in coming days because of their failures?
-          Since believers, Jew or Gentile, are believers they will NOT have to undergo discipline in coming days because of their failures?
-          Nothing, since God will not be destroying all the nations?
Curious?  How do you interpret this prophetic word?
Point to ponder
Will a loving God allow His people to undergo hardship/tribulation?
Is our loving God also a God of judgment and vengeance?
Yosef   a.k.a.  Joe Brusherd                                                 November 4, 2014
Books author “Hebraic Insights”; “Biblical Marriage”; “Musings v.1 – A Victorious Life”
Weekly e-mails “Hebraic Musings
Yosef1@cox.net   or  www.InsightsByYosef.com

Note – The CJB language might bring clarity:
For I am with you to save you,” says Adonai, “I will finish off all the nations
where I have scattered you. However, you I will not finish off,
but will discipline only as you deserve; I will not completely destroy you
.”   CJB Jer. 30:11

No comments:

Post a Comment