Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Musing – What does everyone want and need?



Hebraic Musing – What does everyone want and need?

We serve a loving God and sometimes He is even defined as “Love” - “Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.” 1 John 4:8-9 And a short sentence in 1 John 4:16 says “God is love.”

When Jesus was asked to boil down the Torah to the most important commandment He could not state just one because there are two halves to the Royal Commandment.  Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'    This is the first and greatest commandment.   And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'    All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."  Matt 22:37-40 NIV

On the other hand, we find it to be a challenge to fully embrace the second half of God’s set of commandments because they run counter to our own inclinations and desires.  We’ve read about 613 Mitzvot in the OT and 1050 commands in the NT and like little kids we keep asking “Why do I have to do that Abba?” 

I don’t know about you, but I love myself a lot. Therefore it is a real challenge to love my neighbor as much as I love myself.  And I have not forgotten Jesus’ lecture reminding us about who is our neighbor.

And to make this challenge even more difficult He said “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.” John 13:34   Not only did He say ‘love one another” twice, but every time I read this I translate it to myself as Jesus saying “I was crucified and died for you, so be willing to be crucified and die for your neighbor.”  Or it could mean “Live for your neighbor”? 

Let’s answer the title question “What does everyone want and need?”   Answer – Everyone wants and needs love.   A popular 1965 song expressed this truth, so here are the chorus lyrics (for you youngsters):

What the world needs now is love, sweet love.  It's the only thing that there's just too little of.
What the world needs now is love, sweet love.      No, not just for some but for everyone
.

Years ago while preaching a message about loving others, I pointed out that there are 8 billion “others” in this world.  My pastor corrected me publically saying “No Joe, there are 8 billion minus one.”

Can we say we love others if we are not willing to serve them and to respect them and their beliefs?

Points to ponder
Am I willing to die for my neighbor?
Do we withhold money or time from my neighbors in need?
Are Christians and non-Christians in far-away places my neighbors?
Did Yeshua as Messiah come to reconcile all things, including us to each other?
Paul taught what is called “Tikkun Olam.” In Judaism that means “repairing the world.”
What do you need neighbor?                                      April 21, 2015
Yosef   a.k.a.  Joe Brusherd  
Author::                       (Hyperlinks are now available!)     
Hebraic Insights                                  Re-Published – March 2015
Biblical_Marriage                               May 2012
Musings: Vol.1 – A Victorious Life     Sept.2014
Vol.2 – The Torah and New Testament Published – March 2015
Weekly e-mails
Hebraic Musings   or  www.InsightsByYosef.com

No comments:

Post a Comment