Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Musing – Was Jacob unfair to Esau?



Hebraic Musing – Was Jacob unfair to Esau?
Preface: Are banks unfair when they loan you money?  Is Visa and Master Charge unfair when they let you run up your account balance so high that paying it back all those charges is well-nigh impossible?
Esau said. “What good is the birthright to me?” Gen.25:32   What was Esau thinking?!?!  Why would he trade his birthright for a bowl of soup?  Let’s look at how the scene develops.  Esau had just returned from an exhausting day. He was utterly famished. He saw his brother Jacob making some red lentil soup, and he wanted some badly.   Esau: “Quick, let me have some of that red stew! I’m famished!   Jacob: “First sell me your birthright   Esau: “Look, I am about to die . . . What good is the birthright to me?” Gen. 25:30-32    And so the deal was done.
Now, was Jacob being unfair? Was he taking advantage of a dying man?  Esau wasn’t about to die; he was explaining his philosophy on life.  Esau’s attitude toward life was all too similar to the attitude of many people to this day.  Esau effectively was saying – “Life is short, so let’s eat, drink, and be merry. What good does a promise of a future reward do for me now?  I am hungry now.  I want soup now.  The birthright is of no use to me right now.”   He clearly viewed his birthright as a future reward and this is the reason Scripture says “So Esau despised his birthright.” Gen. 25:34  
This scenario should speak to all of us as a constant challenge we all face – the lure and desire for instant gratification despite the lurking consequences down the road.  The desire for instant gratification is not exclusively a problem for children. We face this challenge daily.  The allure of the here and now is blinding.  In this passage we can see the foolishness of Esau’s penchant for instant gratification.  He sacrificed his entire future for a few moments of pleasure.  Not a smart decision, but then again, how often are we tempted to do the same thing?  hmmmm….
·         That big dessert!  Well I’ll start my diet tomorrow.
·         I just have to have that ______, and I’ll pay for it with next month’s (or year’s) paycheck.
·         I can’t afford it right now so I’ll charge it on my “Master” card.  (Prov. 22:7  The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender.  No wonder it is called a “Master” card!)
·         I’ll call that friend tomorrow. I haven’t got time today.
·         I’ll start giving to missions after I get that big raise.
·         It will feel so good now; but ignoring or not thinking of the horrible consequences to my future.
·         (Any more examples?)
Somehow we know the right thing to do but all too often we sacrifice the future for the sake of what we want now.  We tend to forget that the here and now is nothing compared to eternity.
Point to ponder
Do we really have faith for future rewards; or do we just not think ahead?
 Are banks unfair when they loan you money? 
Are we debt free?    He paid a debt He did not owe
I don’t want to life my live in Debtors Prison                        May 19, 2015
Yosef   a.k.a.  Joe Brusherd               Author::                             (Hyperlinks are now available!)     
Hebraic Insights Republished March 2015
Biblical_Marriage
Musings v.1 – A Victorious Life
Musings v.2 – The Torah and New TestamentNew - March 2015
Weekly e-mails
Hebraic Musings   or  www.InsightsByYosef.com

No comments:

Post a Comment