Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Musing – Is there a way to have everything your heart desires?



Hebraic Musing – Is there a way to have everything your heart desires?
Sounds impossible!  But maybe there is a way?
We are by nature a covetous people.  The tenth commandment can be viewed as the last but most important because covetousness (desiring something belonging to somebody else) is the start of all sin.  That just happens to be my view based on personal experience.
The Simple Definition of covet according to Merriam-Webster dictionary is “to want (something that you do not have) very much”.  And the synonym is “Desire”. I was surprised to find that “Desires” appears 49X in the NIV; and “Desire” appears 56X.  
Let us set aside the sinful side of covetousness, wanting something that belongs to another, and focus on the positive side – wanting something good and God-honoring.  A classic example we frequently hear would be “I want to serve God.”  That is an admirable desire. 
So now we have established that we all want/desire things or attributes; and we are driven by those desires.  How can we possibly have everything our heart desires?
God has given us the answer – how to have everything your heart desires – in Ps 37:4 “Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.” 
Do you suppose that if you fully and truly “Love(d) the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.” Deut. 6:5  that you would have the heart of God?   Does it follow that if you have the “Heart of God” that you will desire and thus receive all that your heart desires? 
What would life be like if our hearts were perfectly aligned with the heart of God?
Maybe my desire to have all that my heart desires is why this familiar song is one of my favorites?
Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.
Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and renew a right Spirit within me.”
Ps.51:10-12 KJV
Points to ponder
What would happen if we emulated David, a man after God’s own heart?
And David said “I desire to do your will, O my God;
your law is within my heart."
Ps. 40:8  NIV
On the other hand is God disappointed when our desires do not align with His?
May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed.” Ps. 20:4 NIV
Yosef   a.k.a.  Joe Brusherd                                   August 23, 2016
Author: “Hebraic Insights – Messages exploring the Hebrew roots of our faith” 
“Biblical Marriage” “Musings - A Victorious Life”  “Musings - The Torah and New Testament”
Weekly “Hebraic Musings      www.InsightsByYosef.com
P.S.   David’s plea: “Turn my heart toward your statutes and not toward selfish gain.  Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word.”  Ps 119:36-37   NIV
Acts 4:32   All the believers were one in heart and mind.   NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment