Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Musing – Ever notice the "If" in front of favorite verses?



Hebraic Musing – Ever notice the "If" in front of favorite verses?
One of many favorite verses, after John 3:16, is another explanation of God’s love for us as expressed by Jesus Himself in John 15:9-10 “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.  If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love,…  NIV   The “If” is extremely important and often overlooked.  In fact, the word “If” appears 653 times in the NT alone!  And in John chapter 15 alone “if” is used 11 times qualifying statements about the vine and branches; fruit bearing; Father’s love; Jesus’ love; friendship with Jesus; belonging to the world; belief in miracles…to name a few.
So Jesus put a condition on remaining in His love by saying “If you obey my commands…”  What did Jesus mean by obeying commands?  Most NT readers assume we need to obey the Ten Commandments which used to be on the walls of our schools back when I was in grammar school. And we’ve been taught that Jesus kept the commandments; however it is more accurate to say that Jesus kept Torah.  Jews who have accepted Yeshua as Messiah recognize that Jesus kept Torah, obedient to the precepts in all five books including the 513 mitzvot (commands or good deeds) in the Torah.
In  John 8:31 “… Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, "If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed.   NKJV   He expected them to be abiding in the Torah, the Word which Jesus authored and lived.  Remember   In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  John 1:1   And thus we know that Jesus was the living Torah.
The word “If” has the power to change everything and makes the outcome dependent on our actions.  Yehovah is saying, "if" you do such and such, I will do this. 
How many times have we heard “ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you.” And that is stated as a promise like a blank check.  BUT, the sentence starts with “If you remain in me and my words remain in you,before promisingask whatever you wish, and it will be given you.”  John 15:7  NIV
To really understand the Bible, every time we come across the word law in the NT, cross it out and write in Torah or teaching.  Torah is not law; it is our instruction manual, a guide to abundant life.   Then take note how many times in the New Testament we are urged to keep Torah.  We have to have the love first, then the desire, then we follow through with doing the teachings or instructions. 
Remember, Yeshua said in John 14:15 “If you love me, you will obey what I command.”  In biblical days they heard “IF you love me, keep the Torah.” 
Points to Ponder
What’s the difference between keeping Ten Commandments vs. keeping Torah?
How to reconcile Agape Love with the conditions described above?
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
Yosef   a.k.a.  Joe Brusherd                                   October 25, 2016
Author: “Hebraic Insights – Messages exploring the Hebrew roots of our faith” 
“Biblical Marriage” “Musings - A Victorious Life”  “Musings - The Torah and New Testament”
Weekly “Hebraic Musings      www.InsightsByYosef.com
Note:  Inspired by Johanna Shager Hocker, FAITH MINISTRIES INT.  9/27/16

No comments:

Post a Comment