Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Musing - Come and Go with Me!



Hebraic Musing - Come and Go with Me!

One of the first songs I learned at a Charismatic prayer meeting during my search for the Lord 40 years ago is entitled Come and go with me to my Father's house.  Here are the lyrics:
1 Come and go with me to my Father's house,  To my Father's house, to my Father's house.
Come and go with me to my Father's house;  There is joy, joy, joy!
2 Peace and love abide in my Father's house, …  3 Peace and happiness in my Father's house, … 
4 No more dyin' there, in my Father's house, ….5 Sweet communion up there, in my Father's house…
Exodus chapter 10 is nicknamed “Bo” in Hebrew Torah studies, and the Hebrew “Bo” is translated “Go” in our Bibles when the LORD said to Moses, Go to Pharaoh, for I have hardened his heart and the hearts of his officials so that I may perform these signs of mine among them.”  Exodus 10:1   Jewish scholars point out that the better translation of “Bo” should be “Come.”  However “Come to Pharaoh” doesn’t make sense so what could be the meaning of this verse if we use the word “come”?
Could it be that Moses was hesitant to continue on his mission?  He was weary and Pharaoh was still very powerful.  Doubts began to creep in.  Could he really complete the task that God had given to him?
God understood how Moses felt, so He said something like this to Moses “Come with me and together we will go to Pharaoh.”  Scripture abbreviated those words by saying “Come to Pharaoh.”  God was telling Moses that he was not alone, that God was right there with him. All Moses needed to do was come and follow Him.  In Exod.31:6 God told Moses “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." NIV
When the Lord prompts us to “Go” we sometimes hesitate, checking to see if He is going with us. In fact, did you know that according to Jewish tradition only one-fifth of the Israelites left Egypt?  According to tradition, four-fifths of the Israelites chose not to leave!  These people weren’t interested in leaving the only place they knew for some unknown destination in the future.
If you listen closely you can still hear the Holy Spirit of God saying to you “Come with me!”  The word “Go” appears about 1,400 times in our Bible; and whether the instruction is given to an OT person or given to us, we can often recognize God wanting us to “Come and Go with me…”
Example, among the many “come/go” statements in our Bible, “First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift.” Matt 5:24  When we are called to Go, how often do we need and want Him at our side.
The classic “Go” instruction to us in Jesus’ red letters "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation.  Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.  Mark 16:15-16  NIV   Whenever I follow this instruction I quickly realize I cannot do it alone.  I have to be led by His Holy Spirit as He “Comes and Goes with me…”
Points to ponder
When we are called by the Holy Spirit to Go,
how often do we need Him to come along with us?
 Come and go with me to my Father's house,… 
Yosef   a.k.a.  Joe Brusherd                                   February 7, 2017

Author: “Hebraic Insights – Messages exploring the Hebrew roots of our faith” 
“Biblical Marriage” “Musings - A Victorious Life”  “Musings - The Torah and New Testament”
Weekly “Hebraic Musings      www.InsightsByYosef.com

Inspired by Rabbi Yechiel Eckstein’s “Come with Me!”  January 30, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment