Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Musing – Do we still have Pharisees in Our Churches?



Hebraic Musing – Do we still have Pharisees in Our Churches?
Are there Pharisees in our Churches?  How would we know?  Or, how would we know if we are one of them?  To stir our thinking – would we have also become frustrated with Jesus when we saw Him hanging out with hookers, criminals and other morally sketchy people?  I would probably have questioned him as well; which puts me in the company of the Pharisees.  How about you?  (BTW – The Sadducees were even more self-centered!)
I’ve come to realize that maybe I am one of the chief Pharisees?  Here are some signs I have to watch for –
I like to show off; whether it’s the number of FB friends, the car, the fashions, musical or other skills, etc.  Do we find ourselves in church drawing focus on ourselves instead of serving God and His people?
I tend to think my theology is better than that of others.  We know we are right and they are wrong.  When we contend we are less sinful, more together, smarter and wiser, than the other guy, or his church, then we might have become a Pharisee!  Remember, the Pharisees insisted they were right.
My love of money and the control of “My Money” messes with my priorities. How?  Have you ever found yourself excited about what the money is doing for you, and lost sight of what it could be doing for one of God’s mission efforts?   If so, we’ve crossed a line.  Whoops, I forget who the money really belongs to!
I have too little compassion, while forgetting that Yeshua’s act of compassion is why I am a Christian. Jesus was frequently moved with compassion, and he rebuked the Pharisees for their lack of it.  Matt 9:11-13 starts with “When the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, ‘Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and 'sinners'?..."   I too often listen to the popular radio station WIIFM (What’s In It For Me) instead of caring for others.  I once defined “others” as the 7 billion people in the world; and my pastor publically corrected me by saying – “the definition of ‘others’ is 7 billion minus one.”
I expect others to do what I don’t always do?    Do I practice what I preach?  Do I “Walk the Talk”?  And not just at church but at home also?!?!  And as we teach, directly and indirectly, I have to remember that those who teach are held to a higher standard; so I have to teach with fear, trembling and humility.
I think of myself as closer to God than those around me.  In Matt 23:15 Jesus admonishes the Pharisees – “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as you are.” NIV
And then I remember Prov. 16:18 “Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.”   Ouch!
I become jealous of others in the church and other churches.  When ministries of others are more effective, I feel a spirit of jealousy creeping in; when I know I should be publicly praising them and celebrating with them.   John the Baptist understood this challenge when he admitted “He must increase, but I must decrease.” John 3:30-31  NKJV   What John did was to say it out loud.  He gave public recognition and praise to Jesus.
While all this is said in first person, it is my hope and belief we can all work to recognize the pharisaical tendencies that creep into our thinking and hinder our witness.
Points to ponder
Interesting Bible study topic – “Jesus and the Pharisees”
Do we listen to WIIFM to often?
Does Pharisaical thinking diminish our effectiveness as witnesses for Jesus Christ?
"Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.”  Luke 12:1
Yosef   a.k.a.  Joe Brusherd                                   March 14, 2017

Author: “Hebraic Insights – Messages exploring the Hebrew roots of our faith” 
“Biblical Marriage” “Musings - A Victorious Life”  “Musings - The Torah and New Testament”
Weekly “Hebraic Musings      www.InsightsByYosef.com

Note – Inspired by Carey Nieuwhof, ChurchLeaders.com, 7 Signs the Pharisees Are Running Your Church – Feb.16, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment