Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Musing – Have you been with Jesus?


Hebraic Musing – Have you been with Jesus?
The book of Acts opens with an example of apostolic ministry and action.  Peter and John are going about their daily routine, going to the Temple for prayer, when the lame man asked them for money.  Their reply has become a cute children’s song (which I love too).    Silver and gold have I none, But such as I have give I thee, In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk.  He went walking and leaping and praising God, Walking and leaping and praising God, In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk.” 
If we stop here, we miss a personal application.  This miracle became a witnessing opportunity … “all the people were astonished and came running to them in the place called Solomon’s Colonnade.” Acts 3:11 NIV   And as Peter and John continued to preach the Gospel of Jesus and His resurrection, the crowds grew until… “The priests and the captain of the temple guard and the Sadducees came up to Peter and John while they were speaking to the people.  They were greatly disturbed because the apostles were teaching the people, proclaiming in Jesus the resurrection of the dead.” Acts 4:1-2   But Peter and John continued preaching to these leaders until those scholarly leaders noted that “These men had been with Jesus.”   When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus.” Acts 4:13
The critical points the leaders noted about Peter and John always caught my attention –
·         They were unschooled.  (I can relate to that)
·         They acted, stood their ground and preached with courage. (I wish I could always do that)
·         They “had been with Jesus”.  (Let’s talk more about that…)
Peter and John were apostles, yes.  They had walked with Jesus, yes.  I encountered Jesus and I talked to Him and He changed my life in 1977 and I have been walking with Him ever since.  THEREFORE, I too have walked with Jesus and should also act and preach with the same boldness that Peter and John did.
Have you walked with Jesus?  Are you walking with Jesus daily?
 Points to ponder
Did Jesus commission only the Apostles to go forth and preach the Gospel?
Why did Jesus indwell us with the Holy Spirit? 
(to provide us with the Words, Courage, Insights, Boldness, etc.?)
Are we any less prepared than Peter and John?
   And He walks with me and He talks with me. And He tells me I am his own… 
Yosef   a.k.a.  Joe Brusherd                                      March 27, 2018

Author: “Hebraic Insights – Messages exploring the Hebrew roots of our faith” 
“Biblical Marriage (by Yosef)”   Weekly “Hebraic Musings

No comments:

Post a Comment