Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Musing - "God is in Control", or is He?


Hebraic Musing - "God is in Control", or is He?
All too often we hear people say with a shrug of the shoulders "God is in Control".  Johanna Hocker described their attitude this way – “If God is in control, I am free to do whatever, because what God wants to happen will happen.  I'm off the hook, so to speak. I can be as irresponsible as I chose, because I have no voice in the matter.”  But is that what Scripture says? 
In the creation account God said “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.” Genesis 1:26 NIV   And to reinforce that responsibility, He gave mankind an assignment – “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it.  Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.” Genesis 1:28   Some versions say “have dominion”. 
It sounds to me like God gave us control and put us in charge.  What else does Scripture say about our span of control, responsibilities and choices?
In Genesis 4 God holds Cain responsible for the death of Abel.  Man is his own “brother’s keeper”.
Joshua’s oft quoted challenge to the Israelites puts their future squarely on their own shoulders.  “…choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the beyond the river, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 24:15   The choice is theirs, not God’s.
We are the ones to make choices.  Who, then, are those who fear the Lord?  He will instruct them in the ways they should choose.” Ps. 25:12   Note – God said He would instruct them, but the man has to choose.
God knew people would call on Him for answers, but He made it clear – the choice is theirs.  Then they will call to me but I will not answer; they will look for me but will not find me.  Since they hated knowledge and did not choose to fear the Lord.  Since they would not accept my advice and spurned my rebuke, they will eat the fruit of their ways and be filled with the fruit of their schemes. Proverbs 1:28-31  They will eat the consequential fruit of their choice(s).
The LORD wants to bless His people.  This is clear when He tells us what He wants us to do. “Maintain justice and do what is right, for my salvation is close at hand and my righteousness will soon be revealed.  Blessed is the man who does this— the man who holds it fast, who keeps the Sabbath without desecrating it, and keeps his hands from doing any evil.” Isaiah 56:1-2    The LORD clearly wants us to do right and make the right choices.
J. Martin Kohe, a psychologist, authored a book I read in the 60’s – “YOUR GREATEST POWER” which concludes that our greatest power is our power to choose; from a psychologist’s viewpoint! A must read!
SUMMARY – We are responsible for our own life and our choices each day.  We will reap what we sow.
 Points to ponder
What is Your Greatest Power?
There is something God won’t do since it would be counter to His character…
He will not take away our freedom of choice.
God wins the war.  We choose our own fate, and the consequence(s) to others around us.
Let’s rethink Flip Wilson’s famous line – “The Devil made me do it.”
Choose for yourselves whom you will serve, but as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.”
Yosef   a.k.a.  Joe Brusherd                                                  April 24, 2018

Author: “Hebraic Insights – Messages exploring the Hebrew roots of our faith” 
“Biblical Marriage (by Yosef)”   Weekly “Hebraic Musings

Note – Inspired by Johanna Hocker’s blog "God is in Control", I don't think so - March 27, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment