Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Musing – Sorry. We Cannot Glorify God Privately!

 Hebraic Musing – Sorry.  We Cannot Glorify God Privately!

When I heard this question and explanation, I was convicted.  I always thought that in my private pray-time that I was giving Glory to God for all He has done for me.  Then an examination of Psalm 105 made me realize we need to give Glory to God by telling others.  Can you praise a person who does a good deed by simply thinking?  Or, do you need to tell others about that person’s deed in order to give the praise due him or her?

Psalm 105 starts with a series of Commands. (Imperatives in Bold)  Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done.  Sing to him, sing praise to him; tell of all his wonderful acts.  Glory in his holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice.” Psalm 105:1-4 NIV   Notice that all those actions are public praises, not mumblings to ourselves.

What are some advantages of “Bragging on Jesus”?  It takes boldness; starts a witnessing process; reinforces our own genuine-ness, awakens awareness of who God is.  Heaven knows we need an awakening!  If it is good news let’s “Go tell it on the mountain, over the hills and everywhere…”

BTW - Giving glory publically is practice for what we’ll be doing in heaven where everything is public!!!  Look, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him,…” Rev.1:7   Jesus quoted Psalm 22:22 in Heb. 2:12 “I will declare your name to my brothers; in the presence of the congregation I will sing your praises.”

How many times does the Bible tell us to go public with our praise to God?  Just a few examples:

·      I will declare your name to my brothers; in the congregation I will praise you.”  Ps. 22:22 

·      I will give you thanks in the great assembly; among throngs of people I will praise you.”  Ps. 35:18  

·      Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him, praise his name.” Ps.100:4  

·      With my mouth I will greatly extol the LORD; in the great throng I will praise him.”  Ps. 109:30 

·       I will extol the LORD with all my heart in the council of the upright and in the assembly.”  Ps. 111:1  

·       Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord,”   Eph. 5:19  

Another form of going public to give the Glory to God is by sharing our personal testimony.  Apostle Paul had three classic examples in the book of Acts (another ‘Musing’ topic) with a common thread of telling non-believing persons “Look what the Lord has done!”  He healed my body, He touched my mind, He saved me, just in time.

And if you still wonder why we need to go public, ponder this – “Remember the wonders he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he pronounced,” Psalm 105:5

Point(s) to Ponder

A popular public world-wide response is “Hallelujah”; Hebrew for “Praise God”!
Do we say “Hallelujah” often enough?

Who is it that doesn’t want us shouting “Hallelujah”?

How is sharing your personal salvation testimony giving God the Glory?

“I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever, I will sing I will sing, … 
With my mouth will I make known, Thy faithfulness Thy faithfulness to all generations.”

Yosef   a.k.a.  Joe Brusherd                          December 1, 2020

Author: “Hebraic Insights – Messages exploring the Hebrew roots of our faith” 
“Biblical Marriage (by Yosef)”     Weekly “Hebraic Musings

No comments:

Post a Comment