Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Musing – What Do I See On My Daily Walk?

 Hebraic Musing – What Do I See On My Daily Walk?

My daily walk could be boring, except that I start wondering “Who created all this stuff?”  I see trees, roadways, cars, houses, appliances, boats, etc. etc.   Somebody made or created all that stuff!  In my life I have created things, books, relationships, etc. etc.  Where did I, or any of us, get that creative ability?

If I go way back to Genesis 1:26-27 we see that God said, “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule …  So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him;…” NIV   And God had just told us how He created the heavens, earth, light, sky, water, land, vegetation, constellations, animals and then God created man in His own image! 

So if God created everything and created man “in His own image,” is it logical that we were given some creative abilities?  And the creations that man has come up with are amazing when you look at all the things our eyes behold!  BUT all that stuff is nowhere near as amazing as the world that Our Creator God set up and put into motion some 6,000 years ago.

The concept of us being created in the “image of God” explains another powerful gift or ability we’ve been given!  Fortunately or unfortunately we are like God, our creator, in that we have the power to choose!*   So God has also given us the power to choose.  As a result, mankind has created things that are helpful and useful to themselves and/or each other.  But man has also used his creative juices to wreak havoc on people, places and things. 

I sometimes wonder why God created us knowing that we would partake of fruit from the “…tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.”?  Gen. 2:9   As a result, “…every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time.” Gen 6:5  Unfortunately, that is what ultimately became of man, God’s treasured creation?  

Key question – Why would God create man capable of choosing good or evil on a daily basis?  I think the answer is in the simple story of Pinocchio that has preached to me over the years.  Pinocchio’s creator was his father Geppetto who created a puppet called Pinocchio and he could make his puppet do anything he wanted it to do.  BUT Geppetto was not satisfied with an inanimate puppet; he wanted a boy.  WHY?  – Geppetto wanted Pinocchio to be a boy whom he could love.  And more important, Geppetto wanted a son capable of choosing to love him!  Thus the boy Pinocchio was the fulfilment of his father’s desire.  So Pinocchio had to be given the power to choose!

When I started in first grade our first lesson in the Catechism started with three questions and these were the answers that I never forgot:

1.      Who made me?                       A – God made me.

2.      Who is God?                           A – God is a supreme being, creator of all things.

3.      Why did God make me?         A – To love and serve Him and give Him glory forever.

Maybe this is why my all-time favorite Bible verse is Joshua 24:15 – “…then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve…”

Points to ponder

How many times a day do we exercise our power to choose?

What’s the most important choice you made in life?

I have decided to follow Jesus; No turning back, no turning back.  

Yosef   a.k.a.  Joe Brusherd                          July 13, 2021
Author: “Hebraic Insights – Messages exploring the Hebrew roots of our faith”
“Biblical Marriage (by Yosef)”  Weekly “Hebraic Musings”   insightsbyyosef.blogspot.com/

*  J. Martin Hohe’s “Your Greatest Power,” influenced me years before I chose Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment