Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Musing – What Might God’s Plan Be for Us?

 

Hebraic Musing – What Might God’s Plan Be for Us?

How many times have you heard someone confidently proclaim that good things are in store for them?  And their proof verse is the LORD’s declaration in Jeremiah 29:11  “For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” NIV  And the next verse, 12, also sounds good. “Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.”  BUT they stop there expecting a blessing right around the corner.

So it sounds like good verses to rely on; BUT what does it mean in context?  Verse 10 before it says “When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my gracious promise to bring you back to this place.  Uh Oh!  Fulfillment of the Lord’s plan does not go into effect until 70 years from now!!!   Keep reading verses 12-14.   Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.  I will be found by you,” declares the LORD, “and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the LORD, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.”    That was certainly not the “Plan” Jeremiah or any of us are hoping for!

A little later, Jeremiah needed to talk to the LORD, so the LORD God provided Jeremiah with His phone number.  Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.” So Jeremiah 33:3 is God’s phone number.  Call Him, He’s waiting for your call.

The Lord had early plans for Jeremiah.  Might He also have plans for you?  Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”  Jeremiah 1:5

Isaiah 6:8 contains another favorite Biblical statement that we might glibly spout without full understanding.  “Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, ‘Whom shall I send?  And who will go for us?’ And I said, ‘Here am I.  Send me!’”  What did Isaiah agree to?  He had to go and remind the people they had calloused hearts and dull ears, etc.   When Isaiah asked  “For how long, O Lord?” the Lord answered  “Until the cities lie ruined and without inhabitant, until the houses are left deserted and the fields ruined and ravaged, until the LORD has sent everyone far away and the land is utterly forsaken.”  Jer.6:11-12  That was a challenging message to have to deliver to the people; not good news! 

 

Esther had to make a difficult decision; her Uncle Mordecai encouraged her with “For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father's family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?” Esther 4:14

 

When we ask the Lord to use us, are we ready to do the heavy lifting?  To say the challenging words?   To reveal to them the bad news?  To tell people what they do not want to hear? 
What price might we have to pay in order to be the Lord’s messenger?

How important is it to read “good sounding promises” in context?

And let’s not forget that we are more than conquerors.  And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28

Points to ponder

Will God’s plan(s) always be welcome in our short term way of thinking?

Does it take faith to give God’s ultimate plan time to work itself out?

The Loving Creator God of the whole universe wants us to call on Him,
He wants to talk with us as often as we want!  What a privilege!

Call on Him, He’s waiting for your call.

  “What a Friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear!
        What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer!
.”

Yosef   a.k.a.  Joe Brusherd                                      October 12, 2021
Author: “Hebraic Insights – Messages exploring the Hebrew roots of our faith”
“Biblical Marriage (by Yosef)    Weekly “Hebraic Musings     InsightsByYosef.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment