Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Musing – What Might be Gleaned from a Typical O T Chapter?

 Hebraic Musing – What Might be Gleaned from a Typical O T Chapter?

I just read First Samuel 3 with my old margin notes, and now I am challenged to be more like Samuel.  Why?

Background: The chapter opens with the boy Samuel being discipled by the high priest, Eli, whose two sons were downright incorrigible, contemptible and blasphemous.

Samuel, the boy, heard his name called three times and all three times he ran to Eli saying, “Here I am, you called me.”  And Eli answered, “I did not call; go back and lie down.”  Already we see the obedient, responsive and submissive nature of the boy Samuel.  “Then Eli realized that the LORD was calling the boy...” after the third time. “So Eli told Samuel, ‘Go and lie down, and if he calls you, say, ‘Speak, LORD, for your servant is listening.'  So Samuel went and lay down in his place.  The LORD came and stood there, calling as at the other times, ‘Samuel! Samuel!’  Then Samuel said, ‘Speak, for your servant is listening.’”  1 Sam.3:8-10 NIV

Samuel apparently was not familiar with the Lord’s voice, so is this Samuel’s salvation moment?  Samuel realized that he was hearing the voice of Almighty Lord God!  This reminds me of a key moment in my personal testimony when I blurted out - “I talked to Jesus!”  I know that God was speaking to me many times up to that point, but finally I recognized “Jesus” and that he was actually talking to me!  Samuel finally realized he was talking to the LORD for the first time!

Then the Lord revealed to Samuel a heavy insight.  “See, I am about to do something in Israel that will make the ears of everyone who hears of it tingle.  At that time I will carry out against Eli everything I spoke against his family—from beginning to end.  For I told him that I would judge his family forever because of the sin he knew about; his sons made themselves contemptible, and he failed to restrain them.  Therefore, I swore to the house of Eli, ‘The guilt of Eli's house will never be atoned for by sacrifice or offering.'”  1 Sam.3:11-14 NIV   A Godly man is being held responsible for a sin he knew about but failed to take action!  That is something to think about.

In verse 17, Eli asks Samuel what the Lord had revealed; and Samuel is obviously reluctant to share the “bad news.”  But Eli insists (to his credit), “’What was it he said to you?’ Eli asked. ‘Do not hide it from me. May God deal with you, be it ever so severely, if you hide from me anything he told you.’  Samuel told him everything, hiding nothing from him.”  There’s something beautiful about the truth.

Eli was a unique character as revealed by his response in v.18, “He is the LORD; let him do what is good in his eyes.”  How many of us would willingly accept the Lord’s judgement like that?

What’s the impact on Samuel?  “The LORD was with Samuel as he grew up, and he let none of his words fall to the ground.” 1 Sam.3:19   What does it mean to not let God’s Words fall to the ground?

Finally, in verse 21 we learn, “The LORD continued to appear at Shiloh, and there he revealed himself to Samuel through his word.”  Will the LORD do the same for us...revealing Himself in His Word?

Point to ponder

How many times did the Lord Jesus call you before you recognized His voice?

Might we be held responsible for “non-response” when confronted with obvious sin?

How important is it to read, study and chew on the Word of God?

Maybe every chapter in the Bible can reveal thought-provoking insights like this one?!?!

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.”  Psalm 119:105

Yosef   a.k.a.  Joe Brusherd                                   August 16, 2022
Author: “Hebraic Insights – Messages exploring the Hebrew roots of our faith” 
“Biblical Marriage”     Weekly “Hebraic Musings      InsightsByYosef.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment