Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Musing – Did Ezekiel Prophesy about our Current World Events?

 Hebraic Musing – Did Ezekiel Prophesy about our Current World Events?

Ezekiel chapters 33-39 prophesies many things sounding like current news events and trends.  Chapter 33 starts with the Watchman’s duty to blow the trumpet to warn the people; and if he does not, then the Watchman will be accountable for the blood.  Are you and I today’s watchmen?  Are we supposed to take Ezek.33:7 as both an assignment and a warning to each of us?  “Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give them warning from me.” NIV

The LORD spoke to Ezekiel in 34:2 about the shepherds who do not do their job.  “Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel; prophesy and say to them: ‘This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Woe to the shepherds of Israel who only take care of themselves! Should not shepherds take care of the flock?’”  Could He be speaking about Pastors and leaders in the church?  Or is the LORD also speaking to you and I?  Jesus said something very similar? “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the kingdom of heaven in men's faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to.” Matt.23:13 NIV   Are the leaders more interested in the “Church” or in the people?

The LORD tells Ezekiel “I myself will search for my sheep and look after them.” v.11  Then ~2500 years ago God revealed His plan for His people. “I will bring them out from the nations and gather them from the countries, and I will bring them into their own land.” v.13   In 1948 the Jews were back in their own land.

This leads to a Messianic prediction.  “I will place over them one shepherd, my servant David, and he will tend them; he will tend them and be their shepherd.  I the LORD will be their God, and my servant David will be prince among them. I the LORD have spoken.” Ezek.34:23-24   And Prince David was in Jesus’s lineage!

Chapter 35:3-7 deals with Edom, or the West Bank, which is still a continuing challenge to the Israelites.  Then Ezekiel prophesied that the LORD would take possession of the Mountains of Israel, and the Arabs.  “This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Because they ravaged and hounded you from every side so that you became the possession of the rest of the nations and the object of people's malicious talk and slander, therefore, …: This is what the Sovereign LORD says to the mountains and hills,… and the deserted towns that have been plundered and ridiculed by the rest of the nations around you— … In my burning zeal I have spoken against the rest of the nations, and against all Edom (West Bank), for with glee and with malice in their hearts they made my land their own possession so that they might plunder its pastureland.'  Therefore prophesy concerning the land of Israel and say … ‘I speak in my jealous wrath because you have suffered the scorn of the nations.’”  The LORD’s answer is in v.7 – “Therefore this is what the Sovereign LORD says: I swear with uplifted hand that the nations around you will also suffer scorn.” Ezek.36:3-7

Then in many ways, the LORD promises to show Himself holy before their eyes.  “For I will take you out of the nations(1); I will gather you from all the countries and bring you back into your own land (2).  I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean (3); I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols (4).  I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you (5); I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh (6). And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws (7). You will live in the land I gave your forefathers (8); you will be my people, and I will be your God (9).”  Ezek.36:24-28 NIV   How many promises did The LORD make to His People?  To us?

Ezekiel 36:35-36 describes today’s rebuilt Israel.  “They will say, ‘This land that was laid waste has become like the garden of Eden; the cities that were lying in ruins, desolate and destroyed, are now fortified and inhabited.’  Then the nations around you that remain will know that I the LORD have rebuilt what was destroyed and have replanted what was desolate. I the LORD have spoken, and I will do it.'”  And now we know that He has done it; Israel has been rebuilt!  And there’s more to come!

The LORD promises to bring the Dry Bones back to life in 37:14. “I will put my Spirit in you and you will live, and I will settle you in your own land. Then you will know that I the LORD have spoken, and I have done it, declares the LORD.

In Ezek.38:3 the LORD makes references Russia and Turkey when He says “I am against you, O Gog, chief prince of Meshech and Tubal.”  And in vs.5-6 He tells Persia, Egypt, Black Sea area and Armenia to beware. “After many days you will be called to arms. In future years you will invade a land that has recovered from war, whose people were gathered from many nations to the mountains of Israel, which had long been desolate. They had been brought out from the nations, and now all of them live in safety. You and all your troops and the many nations with you will go up, advancing like a storm; you will be like a cloud covering the land.” Ezek.38:8-9.   Does that sound like WWII?   And through chapter 39 he prophesies against Cog & Tubal (Russia and Turkey).

Points to Ponder

Why did Ezekiel record the LORD saying 14 times in Chapters 33-39 “I am the LORD”?

How do the statements in these seven chapters compare with current world events?

Did you notice that these predictions by Ezekiel did not make sense for 2500 years?!?!

Do all nine promises to the Jews also apply to us Christians today?

How can we serve the LORD in the time we have remaining?

Then they will know that I am the LORD”  Said 23x in Ezekiel!

Yosef   a.k.a.  Joe Brusherd                             April 16, 2024
Author: “Hebraic Insights – Messages exploring the Hebrew roots of our faith”
“Biblical Marriage (by Yosef)”     Weekly “Hebraic Musings

No comments:

Post a Comment