Monday, July 9, 2012

Musing – Can grieving be a good thing?


Hebraic Musing – Can grieving be a good thing?
I’ve been puzzled since March 10th when my wife left me for the Perfect Husband. Traditional teachings say I should be going through five to ten stages of a grieving process. So why is it I am not devastated by this most major loss? Yet many Christians think the Bible says “Grieve Not” in 1 Thess.4:13; but the whole verse is – But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope.  NASB. 
A dear friend sent me to the book Good Grief by Granger Westberg; and after reading it, I am now surprisingly convinced that grieving can be a good thing.  The author states that as a result of good grieving “we come out of our grief experience at a slightly higher level of maturity than before.”  In my case, I’m amazed at the higher level of maturity. Let me share some of my very personal reactions to each of the author’s ten stages of grief:
Stage 1. State of Shock – No shock experienced because, graciously, we could see it coming.[1]
Stage 2. Expressing Emotion – I am a man and I have cried and still cry. Why not – I do miss her.
Stage 3. Feeling Depressed and Lonely – I’m not alone. I have dear friends and family ‘just being there’.[2]
Stage 4. Experiencing Physical Symptoms of Distress – Avoiding debilitating distress by accepting that things will have to change; and not wallowing in depression or disappointment.
Stage 5. Becoming Panicky – Fear of the unknown will cause panic, but I know where she is. However, I am uneasy as it becomes obvious that my future will be different, and I don’t know what that is yet.
Stage 6. Sense of Guilt – Were there things I should have done different? Maybe. But introspection says we did what we lovingly thought best. An interesting example of guilt – my father died suddenly one evening and my mother regretted for years that the last meal she gave him was only a bowl of chili. She’s forgiven!
Stage 7. Anger and Resentment – Typically the reaction is ‘why did this have to happen to me?’  I am comforted in my faith that God is sovereign, so I can and will leave this event in His hands.
Stage 8. Resisting Returning – People try to help by not mentioning PeggyMom for fear of stirring up the grief cycle, but actually it is healthy to acknowledge her quirks and uniqueness that made her special. Comments about her help keep her memory alive and lovingly show a shared burden.
Stage 9. Hope Comes Through – With family around I am finding that other experiences and relationships in life are still very meaningful. After all, Jesus tells Christians to look forward, not backward.
Stage 10. Struggling to Affirm Reality – Over the years, the many losses we have survived and the growth we experienced losing a 10 month old daughter and being with loved ones suffering tragedies had already molded me into a different person. My faith in the sovereignty of Almighty God has grown with each of the past tragedies. Yet it is now clear that the best is yet to come. The future is still exciting, although unknown.
Point to Ponder
We have all suffered many losses in life,
so how can proper grieving strengthen us instead of debilitating us?
Shalom Aleichem
Yosef   a.k.a.  Joe Brusherd                                                             July 10, 2012
Author “Hebraic Insights95 messages exploring the Hebrew Roots of Christian faith”
Author “Biblical Marriage” (published  June 2012)
Weekly e-mails “Hebraic Musings” blogging available at  www.InsightsByYosef.com
To be added to distribution -- Yosef1@cox.net    


[1] See Hebraic Musing - The Harbinger and a Locomotive analogy. May 1, 2012
[2] See H.M. – Is ’just being there’ a ministry?  June 26, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment