Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Musing – Do we ‘want’ too much?



Hebraic Musing – Do we ‘want’ too much?
Something interesting about the start of Psalm 23...The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.  NKJV
My friend, Marci, shared this with me awhile ago:
My daughter and I had been to Chicago on a “Shop til you Drop” bus tour.  On the way home, a billboard had a picture of a lamb and said, "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want".  'Not sure how many times I've seen something similar. In that moment on that tour bus, God taught me something. Sure, part of that verse is about God's provision.  We've probably all heard that taught and preached.  Part of that verse though is about my own self-discipline.  "I shall not want"  It is a choice to want; or to be content. 
Did you catch that?  God promises to care for our needs. I am glad He does not fulfill all my wants or I’d have more things than I can handle, and I’d have some things I probably should not have.
Do I pay enough attention to Paul’s lesson in Phil 4:11-12  …for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.   NIV
Point to Ponder (or to pray)
“Lord, help me to be content; and to not ‘want’ so much.”
How much peace do we lose because of our ‘wants’?
Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ
Yosef   a.k.a.  Joe Brusherd                                     June 4, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment