Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Musing – Are you inherently good or evil?




Hebraic Musing – Are you inherently good or evil?
Your answer to this question is surprisingly important.  How do you think of yourself?  (Don’t worry.  I can’t read your mind and I’m not the judge.)
Most religions, philosophers and self-helpers stress that man is inherently good and thus we have ‘feel good’ messages being preached in large and well-known churches. The inherently good concept sells; we all like to think of ourselves as do-gooders.  And the truth is we all do some good.
The apostle Paul wrestled with the question of “Are we inherently good or evil?”  I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.  And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good.  As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me.  I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature.  For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.  For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do — this I keep on doing.”  Romans 7:15-20     NIV
Paul was not alone.  Jesus’ half-brother, James, seems to agree with Paul that man is divided!  Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins.” James 4:17 NIV   James thinks we are sinful creatures because even though we have good impulses we cannot obey them for an hour, let alone a whole day.*
Back to the question – which are we?  The world likes to point out the goodness and we all like to point out the good we have done.  On-the-other-hand, the Bible starts with the fall of man, continues showing significant character flaws in each of OT men of God; and we have NT saints telling us we are bent on evil.  Which is it?    Is this question critical?
If you agree with the world’s view as many people do, including faithful church-attenders and many religions, then you have no need for a savior.
If you believe the consistent messages in the Bible concerning our fallen nature, then we are in need of a savior, Jesus Christ, Our Savior.
Is there any religion or belief system besides Christianity whose view of mankind requires a savior?
Another quote from James – “So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me.  For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members.  What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?  Thanks be to God — through Jesus Christ our Lord! Rom 7:21-25 NIV
Points to ponder
How can you convince someone that they need to be saved
from the ultimate consequence of their sinfulness
if they think they are okay the way they are?
Should we continue to make people feel good by saying
 “I’m okay-- you’re okay!” *
I love everyone, but I am deeply concerned for those who believe they are “Okay.”    
Yosef   a.k.a.  Joe Brusherd,   Author:                                                         August 25, 2015    
* “The Deadliest Monster” by J.F.Baldwin
** “I'm OK--You're OK” - a practical guide to Transactional Analysis – Circa 1972  by Thomas Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment