Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Musing – Are these “Biblical” quotes man-made?



Hebraic Musing – Are these “Biblical” quotes man-made?
1.) “God’s love is unconditional.” However, John 14:6 contains a major condition -  Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”  NIV   And Paul points out a series of serious conditions in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10  Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.   NIV   We know that God loves everybody in that He wants everyone to accept His Son as the atoning sacrifice that He provided; but if they don’t…???
2.) “Let me play Devil’s advocate.”  The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy…” John 10:10     Seriously, why would you want to defend him?
3.) “The Bible clearly says…”   I believe there are things that are very clear and unequivocal in the Bible; however, we often hear positions taken because a denomination or church or person claims the Bible is clear on a particular subject.  Are we sometimes too quick to assume positions and make overly simplistic statements about the Biblical interpretations? Is the Bible really as clear as some people think about death penalty, slavery, alcohol consumption, music, tribulation alternatives, etc.?   A favorite quote from my past – “Don’t read the Bible to prove what you believe; read the Bible to see what it says.”
4.) “God wants me to be happy.”   We have a whole society trying to feel good and be happy, but first and foremost, God wants us to be obedient.  Sometimes being obedient means not doing something that would be enjoyable and bring momentary happiness, but it’s also sinful.  My recent book of selected musings emphasizes that God wants us to be victorious (Musings Vol. 1 – God’s original Plan for A VICTORIOUS LIFE - by Yosef).   Solomon does say in Eccl.3:12-13 “I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live… the gift of God,” but continuing verses reference justice and accountability that can only come from obedience. 
5.) “God won’t give me more than I can handle.”   God has often allowed me to be hit with more than I could handle.  Then I found myself relying on Him to help me through.  I could not do it myself, it was more than I could handle.  May I say “God hasn’t given me more than He and I couldn’t handle together”?  Matt.11:28 - Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.”
6.) “Everything happens for a reason.”   God does allow things to happen. Stuff happens and we grow to maturity by learning to deal the stuff that happens to us.  Can you find this phrase in the Bible?
7.) “A group, company, song or school is either Christian or secular?”  The word “secular” does not appear in the Bible, nor is it even implied.  According to His plan for life, everything is, or should be, for God (Period).  He is, or should be, in all aspects of life.  “Separation of church and state” is an unfortunate manifestation of this misunderstanding.  Can we do anything that God doesn’t see?  Can a company be Christian” so it can go to heaven?!?!   Yes, there are some songs and activities that are not “Christ-like.  
8.) “It’s not my place to judge another person.”   In Matt.7 Jesus does say “Do not judge, or you too will be judged.” Then He talks about sawdust and planks. We should not  judge to condemn; but we need to judge to discern behaviors for correction purposes. Philippians 1:9-11 “…that your love may abound …, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ…” NIV
Points to ponder
How can I learn to discern Biblical mis-quotes?
Yosef   a.k.a.  Joe Brusherd,   Author:                                                            September 1, 2015    
Inspired by “http://frankpowell.me/biblical-christian-phrases-god-given - Frank Powell, Aug. 18, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment