Monday, February 7, 2022

Musing – Do You Realize the Power of Telling “Your Story”?

 

Hebraic Musing – Do You Realize the Power of Telling “Your Story”?

Here’s an unedited text I received from the Pastor of a “Cowboy Church” that made me cry!

From Doug:    Joe, I just had to text you! Doug Blevins* here.  Couldn’t wait any longer.  I’ve been talking at church for some time about telling your story.  I’ve set aside the last Sunday of each month for folks to reserve to get up in church and tell theirs.  Options are (1) speak live (preferred).  (2) video tape and we show it on the big screen (have had one ole truck driver take me up on that.  He was afraid he would get so nervous he would pass out if he did it live).  (3) Write it out then read it on an audio recording and we play it during the service. (I have one lady doing that).

It started off with the former mayor of our town giving his testimony last fall, then a former drug addict/male prostitute, then the truck driver, then one of our FB followers came down from OHIO!  To give his because he wanted to do it live!  I just got another message this morning and am now booked up with testimonies into the fall!!!!

People are learning about each other, loving each other, surprised at each other but most of all proud of each other for hearing the stories of how God has changed lives of folks with a sketchy past who now are serving in their local church.  Joe, the Holy Spirit has set this movement ablaze!!!  The gospel is spreading through the local believer just like it’s supposed to!  It’s not me, it’s all God!!!  I was overwhelmed with emotion this morning in this snow day during my personal Quiet Time and study.  It just brought happy tears to my face and overwhelming joy to my heart and I felt led to share it with you because I know your heart.  The best part is so far almost all have been MEN.  I do have a few ladies on the schedule coming up.  These are “rough around the edges” type guys.  Farmers, cowboys, who aren’t afraid to get dirty and even cuss sometimes.  But they are even cleaning that up!!!   Lol 

Ok I’ve taken too long here.  Know that I’m praying for the men of valor and you as you lead there at IBC!!!!
Much love and prayers to you brother.
🙏

My Response to Doug:

Hallelujah, absolutely awesome, just the way the church should operate!  I’m going to respond a little later, more thoroughly and maybe I should ask you for permission to share this with “Men of Valor”!?!?   Thank you for sharing it with me.  Now my Phone‘s going to short out from the tears.  Sniff Sniff.

Doug’s reply:

Yes you can share.  I just remember early on you begging and bribing for “Testimonies” and couldn’t hardly get one.  I pray God gets ahold of those men and the church to share their story!!!

Points to ponder

Which is more credible to the non-believer?  Your Story” or a Bible verse?

If “Your Story” is a blessing to you, why not share it?  And bless others?

How much time has the listener given you to share?
(Don’t abuse the time contract!  Two minutes?)

Are you blessed and encouraged when you hear a Brother’s “Testimony”?

Simple outline – What was life before?  What happened?  What’s life been like since?

I wonder if “Order of Service” in 1st Century Church meetings included time for “Your Story”?

BTW – Of the thousands of “Testimonies” I’ve heard, I related to every one of them!

  I love to tell the story; 'twill be my theme in glory to tell the old, old story of Jesus and his love..

Yosef   a.k.a.  Joe Brusherd                                      February 8, 2022

Author: “Hebraic Insights – Messages exploring the Hebrew roots of our faith”
“Biblical Marriage (by Yosef)”  Weekly “Hebraic Musings” http://insightsbyyosef.blogspot.com/

*  Doug Blevins - was respected teacher in our church, moved to Green Forest, AR, to be pastor of the “Cowboy Church”

No comments:

Post a Comment