Monday, February 28, 2022

Musing – Is Jesus Our LORD, or Is He Just Our Savior?

 Hebraic Musing – Is Jesus Our LORD, or Is He Just Our Savior?

The Bible refers to “Lord Jesus” 116 times in the NKJV, whereas Jesus is referred to as “Savior” only 9 times, and 5 of those add “and Lord”.  I’ve been concerned that we have many “Professing Christians” both as church attenders and non-attenders who have not really committed to following Christ as Lord of their lives. 

This point was driven home when talking to three folks in a business recently and when asked, each of the three said “I am a Christian.”  Then I asked what church they went to and each one said “I don’t go to church.”  Funny thing, as soon as I got home I saw a FaceBook meme –

“So many “Professing Christians” do not go to God’s house on Sunday,
   but expect to go live in His home for eternity.”

I wish I’d heard that earlier so I could have proposed it to the three “Professing Christians” to give them something to think about.  Could there be a difference between “Christians” and “Professing Christians”?

This problem is pervasive in today’s churches; attributed to “soul-winning” messages in years past, and still today.  The typical “altar call” simply asks the sinner to “accept Jesus as Savior, the  forgiver of one’s sins, and you’ll be saved.” 

(Sarcastic font) Such a deal!  Go on with life believing you are saved simply because Jesus died on the cross 2,000 years ago for your sins.  Who wouldn’t say “Yes, I accept your forgiveness”? 

BUT that’s not the “Salvation” called for in the Bible.  We need to accept His Lordship over our lives!
A few examples:

·      Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household.” Acts 16:31

·      “…if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.” Romans 10:9

And is there evidence of His Lordship in our lives?

·      And whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple.” Luke 14:27

·      My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. ”John 10:27

·      For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother.” Matt. 12:50

·      Paul’s description - “I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.” Galatians 2:20

·      Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.  He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.”  1 John 2:3-4

It is greatly appreciated that Jesus died for our sins and thus made salvation available; but have we made Jesus our Lord?  It’s been said that only 95% of “Professing Christians” have led someone to the Lord, so is there a difference between being a “Professing Christian” vs. being a genuine saved Christian? 

Points to ponder

Is Jesus really your Lord?  Your boss?  Your Jefe (Spanish)?  Is Jesus in charge?

Do you know any “Professing Christians” who have not made Jesus Christ their Lord?

Is it wrong to allow unrepentant sinners to have a false hope?
      Or should we be declaring the whole counsel of God: “You must be born again.” John 3:7

How can one receive and enjoy the gift of salvation and not be wanting to share it?!?!

 He is Lord, He is Lord,  He is risen from the dead  And He is Lord.
            Every knee shall bow,  Every tongue confess That Jesus Christ is Lord.
  *

Yosef   a.k.a.  Joe Brusherd                                      March 1, 2022
Author: “Hebraic Insights – Messages exploring the Hebrew roots of our faith”
“Biblical Marriage (by Yosef)”  Weekly “Hebraic Musings” http://insightsbyyosef.blogspot.com/

*  Many meetings of the Full Gospel BusinessMen’s Fellowship Int’l (FGBMFI) opened with this song

No comments:

Post a Comment