Monday, February 12, 2024

Musing – Do we need to use the word “Love” more carefully?

 Hebraic Musing – Do we need to use the word “Love” more carefully?

How many definitions of love are there?  Are we safe using the word “love” in English considering the number of definitions there are for that one word?  What if the context is missing, or is misunderstood?

In the more precise language of Greek, there are as many as eight types or definitions of Love.  Notice the diversity of meanings!

1.      Eros – A Romantic or Passionate Love having to do with satisfying our body.

2.      Philia – Affectionate, Friendly Love like we have to friends and family.

3.      Storge – Unconditional or Familial Love serves as a bond.

4.      Agape – A Selfless, Universal Love that is “others” oriented.

5.      Ludus – Playful, Flirtatious, Fun Loving way of going.

6.      Pragma – Committed, Long-Lasting Love associated with being together for a long time.

7.      Philautic – Self Love referring to how a person views themselves and how they feel about their own body and mind; has to do with self-esteem.  Reminds me of the song –
♫ “I love myself; I think I’m grand. When I go to the show, I hold my hand,
  I put my arms around my waist, and when I get fresh, I slap my face
…” ♫

8.      Mania — Obsessive Love does not use reason; it is not good; the kind of “love” that a stalker feels toward their victim.

How many forms or definitions of love do we find in our Bible?  Here are the three different words for love found in the Bible translated from Greek and each means something different in scripture:

1.         Eros is based on feelings and is “me-oriented”; and it’s also found to be about marital or other sex.

2.         Philia is based on shared interest and is we-oriented.  
            “So she came running to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one Jesus loved…” John 20:2 NIV

3.         Agape is Christ-centered and others-oriented; as in John 3:16

Corinthians 13:4–8a (ESV) “Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth.”  Which definition of “love” is being used in that verse?

Points to Ponder

Does “love” mean the same when I say –
 “I love vanilla ice cream”?
or when I say, “I love the Lord Jesus”?
or “I love your backrubs?
or “I love watching soccer”?
or “I love my neighbor”?

Or “I love that music”?

What exactly does it mean when we tell our spouse “I Love You”?

Happy Valentine’s Day (Wednesday)

Yosef   a.k.a.  Joe Brusherd                                      February 13, 2024
Author: “Hebraic Insights – Messages exploring the Hebrew roots of our faith”
“Biblical Marriage (by Yosef)”     Weekly “Hebraic Musings

No comments:

Post a Comment