Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Musing - My testimony. What’s yours?



Hebraic Musing - My testimony.  What’s yours?
After our Marriage Encounter experience on Feb. 14, 1976, I became a curious seeker and enjoyed the fellowship and respected the learnings in our monthly Renewal meetings with the other couples.  One couple I especially admired was Bill and Mary Blessing.  They had something I wanted; and they frequently referenced their “Cursillo” experience.  I didn’t give Him credit, but the Holy Spirit made me desperate to go on a Cursillo week-end – a Thursday evening through Sunday Evening commitment.  I was so desperate that I bypassed the invitation process and had Bill Blessing sponsor me even though he and Mary would be on vacation that week-end.
On a Thursday in August 1977 I rode with a couple, friends of Bill Blessing, the 80 miles to a pre-monastic facility in Momence, Ill. for a three day retreat.  As I exited the car I asked, “Aren’t you coming in?”  They answered, “No, we were just giving you a ride” and they drove off leaving me with no car or transportation.  That act of sacrificial love was just the beginning of a week-end of loving experiences.
About the second day as we were listening to speakers and sharing what we heard, Father Tony Tascheta spoke and his message, presentation and style was awesome. I kept thinking that he missed his calling.  He should have been a VP of Sales!!!  After his talk we started discussing the topic but I was in a daze.  The discussion leader suggested the seven of us at the table go to the Palanca Room; so we all dutifully filed out of the discussion room to the prayer room, or Palanca Chapel.  “Palanca” is Spanish for leverage or crowbar; and the prayerful love letters we kept receiving during the week-end were called “Palanca.”
As we walked into the Palanca Chapel, I saw Father Tony Tascheta on his knees praying and thanking Jesus for all the words Jesus had given to him for the “men out there.”   Here was a man whose skill I so admired, down on his knees thanking Jesus for those skills!  My knees gave out and I found myself kneeling, crying crocodile tears and saying almost out loud “Jesus Christ, you are real.  I need to learn more about you.”   At that moment I knew I would never be the same.
Many other things occurred in the next two days that validated the genuineness of my experience.
At the closing ceremony of the Cursillo week-end we entered the big hall and I saw Bill and Mary Blessing there; they had cut short their Florida vacation in order to see me at the closing!  I fell apart.  As part of the ceremony we all had to stand up as the Spirit led and tell what the week-end meant to us.  Eventually I went to the podium, froze, fell apart and finally blurted out “I talked to Jesus!”  That’s all I could say and it may not be much of a speech but it meant volumes.  I was never so choked up in my life.
Very late Sunday night, or Monday morning, the Blessings gave me a ride home.  I immediately woke up Peggy and said, “Guess what happened to me on the week-end?”    She said, “Huh?”    So I repeated the question and she said, “What?”       I told her, “I talked to Jesus”.     And she said, “Does that mean you are ‘born again’?”      To that question I answered, “I don’t know what you call it, but all I know is that I talked to Jesus and I want you and all five kids to experience what I experienced.”   She replied, “It’s too late Joe.  We already have.  We’ve all been praying for you.”  (She could have added “…for 10 years.”)
Points to ponder
On August 25th, 1977 I was 39 years old so…
Now I know how blind a man, a husband or a non-believer can be.
Never stop praying for loved ones who do not yet know Jesus as the Christ.
Don’t underestimate the leveraging power of Palanca, prayer.
That is my special moment.  What was yours?   I’d like to hear it.
Yosef   a.k.a.  Joe Brusherd,   Author:                                                            September 15, 2015    

No comments:

Post a Comment